September 23, 2020 Update
Pacha re-opens Today!
Now then. Hear ye! Yes you. Some good news for once! Pacha will re-open Wednesday September 23 at 8am!
This is made possible by the City of Austin which granted us a sum of money this August to help us survive in the midst of the restrictions due to COVID19. We’ve paid off some debt, and have a cushion to survive a couple of months of losses. We are very grateful that Austin chose to distribute some of its CARES act funds to independent small businesses like Pacha. May the city continue to imagine and subsidise a life after COVID-19, where your trusted local places have survived.
Deepest thanks are especially in order to all the people who donated and bought gift certificates! You know who you are. We managed to survive, and even hope, these last couple of months during our closure, because of your generosity and the genuine warmth of your wishes. Bless you! Then the City came through.
We will be sadly saying goodbye to our stalwart Freejay MacCloud (#mensch) who has been managing Pacha for us since January 2019, through these most difficult times. He made his decision to move from Austin just before the city approved Pacha’s grant in late August. He will be missed! We are grateful for all of his efforts, diligence and general love for Pacha, its mission, staff and customers. His intrepid assistant manager, Natalie Bautista, will be taking a promotion and jumping into the fire to re-open Pacha. Please understand, that will mean a slow rollout, a bit of a rebuilding year in the league.
There is some fine print…
- We shall be following the Good Work Austin restaurant guidelines, beyond Texas Dept. of State Health Services Minimum Standard Health Protocols (see details here).
- We shall initially be open Wednesday through Sunday from 8am – 2pm (closed Mondays and Tuesdays).
- September 23-25 we shall offer freshly made quiches, cookies, empanadas, pre-made breakfast tacos and our entire drink menu.
- Our kitchen will begin cooking to order Saturday September 26 with a pared-down menu. We will slowly add items as we are able. Please let us know what favorite thing you’ve been missing and we’ll take it under advisement!
- We will begin with curb-side pickup only, with ordering through our Square Store (link here). Outside dining still poses some challenges for us since we are somewhat short-staffed. We will evaluate adding on-premise dining after we conquer the immediate challenges.
- We shall be adjusting our prices upward by 18% in lieu of tipping (Square’s limitations did not allow us to simply tack on a surcharge). We at Pacha have never used ‘tipped wages’ in any case, a legacy of the post-slavery era. We have always paid a fair, hourly wage, and continue to provide paid sick leave and support of health in general during this pandemic. The extra income will help allow all Pacha’s staff to earn a minimum of $15/hour.
- We will be rolling out some ways for our devoted patrons to help sustain us through these times, so please check out our online store and email offers to come.
Austin’s only Pacha Latté is back, baby!